Skip to main content

In My Community

Asbestos products have been dumped in my community. Who do I tell?

Waste dumping is illegal. Contact your local council – most councils have a form for reporting hazardous waste products such as asbestos, and they will organise the clean-up and prosecution of those responsible. To find your council’s details please visit the My Council website.

In addition to contacting your local council, you can also contact the Environment Protection Authority if the dumped product is in public areas or bushland. Visit their website, or contact via one of the following methods:


Phone: 1300 784 782. 

I have been exposed to asbestos or silica dust at work, what do I do?

WorkSafe stipulate that ‘when working with hazardous chemicals your workplace has responsibilities to you to keep you as safe as possible, including health monitoring under certain circumstances’. 

‘The Occupational Safety and Health Regulations 1996 provide that: 

  • Asbestos at workplaces must be identified and the risks assessed; 
  • A licence is required for removal of friable asbestos containing material or for removal of more than 10m2 of non-friable asbestos containing material; 
  • People must not be exposed to asbestos dust; 
  • Asbestos work areas must be left in a clean state; 
  • Waste asbestos must be correctly disposed of;  
  • Records must be kept, and WorkSafe notified, if a person has been exposed to asbestos at a workplace; and 
  • Where there is a risk to health from asbestos exposure, health surveillance must be provided.’ 

    If you have been exposed WorkSafe must be notified via their online form – Notification of Dangerous Incident. Please see their Online Form webpage. 

    WorkSafe Contact Information 

    1300 551 832 / 

    Please see below links to further information on GOVT of WA Department of Mines Industry Regulation and Safety webpage for information on the different materials: 

    Asbestos – Information on asbestos in the workplace webpage 

    Silica webpage 

    There are asbestos products at my child’s school, is it safe?

    As stated on their website, the Department of Education has over-arching responsibility for the management of Asbestos-Containing Materials (ACM) located in schools and other worksites controlled by the Department. This responsibility is exercised through the Director of Asset Planning and Services, who is responsible for the development, periodic review and dissemination of the Asbestos Management Plan. Additionally, the principals/site managers are responsible for compliance with the Asbestos Management Plan at their site. 

    Please see the Department of Education Asbestos Policy webpage for further information including the Asbestos Management Plan schools must use when asbestos is located.

    I am concerned about Asbestos in the land and / or environment in Western Australia and want to express my want for change to the Australian Government.

    There are a number of options for contacting a minister or politician. 

    First, it may be beneficial to review the information on that explains how express your desire for change to the Australian government.

    Concerns with asbestos in your home or community environment should be expressed to the Minister for Housing, Lands, Homelessness, Local Government John Carey. See this link for his contact information.

    For work related legislation, the best point of contact is the Minister of WorkSafe WA Darren Kavanagh. See this link for his contact information. 

    Furthermore, you can find contact your local member by using the Parliament of WA search function here: Find your local member at this link 

    There is a deteriorating asbestos fence in my neighbourhood, what can I do?

    The Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency is the best place to find this information, specifically on their asbestos in the Environment webpage. An excerpt from this source is below:

    ‘Environmental laws dealing with asbestos are broadly similar around Australia. All states and territories have requirements to not pollute the environment or unlawfully dispose of asbestos waste. 

    The transport and disposal of asbestos must be done in accordance with those laws. 

    Asbestos waste can only be disposed of at a licensed facility. There are big penalties for the illegal disposal of asbestos, which includes putting it in a domestic rubbish bin, waste skip or dumping it in the bush. There are also rules about the wrapping, labelling and transporting of asbestos waste. 

    Asbestos safety concerns can usually be addressed by contacting your:  

    • local council if the work is being conducted by a neighbour (e.g. a homeowner or tenant) 
    • local council or state/territory environmental regulator (e.g. Environment Protection Authority if the concern relates to public areas or illegally dumped asbestos in parks or bushland) 
    • your local council or environmental regulator if the concern related to the transport and disposal of asbestos waste.’ 
    Asbestos removal is taking place near me, is it safe to go outside?

    There is no safe level of exposure. Please see the strict guidelines that can be accessed on the WorkSafe Asbestos – Information on asbestos in the workplace webpage for the removal and disposal of asbestos. If you are concerned that things are not being done properly, please contact your local council and the Environment Protection Authority.

    Further information can be found on the Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency, On their Asbestos health risks webpage, they advise the following: 

    • If you believe you have been exposed to asbestos fibres you should take the following steps: 
    • If the suspected exposure took place outside the workplace (home or community): 
      • contact your local council or environment regulator for advice on how to ensure the asbestos fibres pose no ongoing risk to yourself or to others. 
      • Use common sense and wear a mask; if work is presently being carried out keep distance. 
    • You could also arrange an appointment with your GP to discuss the associated health risks and request advice regarding any health assessments that your GP considers appropriate.’ 
    Someone I know has deteriorating asbestos products in their home, what can I do?

    It is the Department of Health’s ‘responsibility to ensure the proper management of potential public health risks from exposure to asbestos. Local government authorised officers are the first contact for community concerns. 

    The Department of Health regulates and provides advice on the safe handling of asbestos materials, especially in the public and residential sectors.

    Guidance is also provided on the management of asbestos contaminated soil.’

    See their About Asbestos webpage for further information.